War Diaries Talk

Until the last day

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Diary was kept until the last day. Last word of diary being: CLOSED

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Wow! You've been with them a long time!

It's interesting to see the process of disbanding, isn't it?

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

It took me just to months. I started on March 29th and finished today. I wonder what happened in those so called demobilzation camps? Did they get information about jobs? A ticket home? Papers to prove they had served?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you for staying with it!

Here's some information about demobilization from The Long, Long Trail: http://www.1914-1918.net/demobilisation.htm It seems to be the best site I looked at for explaining what happened to the individual soldiers. Most of the others I read talk more about the social impacts.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

The camp was the place where all the final administrative details of the soldier's life in the army were finalised. He would have been issued the correct forms for demobilisation (there are good examples of these on the page Cynthia's linked to), made arrangements for the return of his uniform, and been paid the money he was owed. I doubt they would have been there very long before leaving for home.

Posted