War Diaries Talk

Lt Grigor

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Whats does Lt Grigor take over? He assumes command and takes over im.... a/c

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Regarding Lt. Grigoer who assumes command takes over the imprest a/c.

I think beside taking over Command he also took over the Imprest Account.

The Imprest system is a form of financial accounting system

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Lt. Grigor is the temporary commanding officer of the field company while Major Findlay is on leave.

He is also in charge of the imprest account for the field company. The account allows the C.O. to draw cash when it is needed for such things as purchasing food locally. I think it was also used for the men's pay, but I'm not absolutely sure of that.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Article re Imprest Account - the means by which soldiers, not officers, received their pay.

“...Not so long ago in the British army the imprest account was the means by which soldiers, not officers, received their pay. An officer of the unit was appointed imprest holder and, each week, decided how much cash he needed and drew this from a bank (in France probably a field cashier) and then held a pay parade. Each soldier would, in turn, be called to a table and be told, by the imprest officer, how much money he would be paid i.e the weeks pay plus any allowances and minus any stoppages; the soldier would receive the money, salute and state 'pay correct sir' and fall out.

The account also provided a means whereby officers could pay for services, like the padres boots, or make recompense if their CO or higher authority decided they had negligently lost or damaged equipment. ...”

Posted