War Diaries Talk

Western D.E.

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Page is signed by a/adj Western D.E. What's Western D.E.?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I've just looked at this very quickly, because I don't have much time, but it might be Divisional Engineers - I'd need to check which division the 409th Field Coy was assigned to, though. The other possibility is that it's just a poorly-written R.E.

Rob

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

It was assigned to the 1st Division. On the next page the OC of 409 Field Company takes over duties of a/CRE Western Division. Could Western Division be a kind of group such as with the artillery?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

A Western Division was formed March 1919 from 1st Division.

There is an article regarding the Original British Army on the Rhine which states the Western Division formed March 1919 from 1st Division. Disbanded in Germany August 1919.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks, Marie - that's really useful info. So, given the dates, it looks like the transition from 1st Division to Western Division had just happened, which explains why the CO was taking up a post as acting Commander RE for the Western Division.

So, to answer your original question, Erik, it looks like D.E. must stand for Divisional Engineers.

Posted