War Diaries Talk

Last word is hard to read

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

We've had a question about what the last word on the page is. Last line reads "18 tons wood, 14 tons coal, 16 tons ???"

I've previously tagged this page myself, and overall this page is easier to read than some in this diary, but I can't make out that last word. It's not essential to tagging the page; just a matter of curiosity.

Anyone able to figure it out?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

At first I thought it might be 'perishables', but now I'm fairly certain it isn't. I'll squint at it some more and see if I can come up with anything better.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Thought it may have been 18 tons wood, 14 tons coal, 16 tons purchased, but not sure.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

It could be. I'm not sure it makes sense, though - it looks like a list of supplies delivered.

Posted

I still can't work it out, either. It may be some kind of food supplies for the horses, though.

At one point in the diaries I've tagged from this supply column there were a couple of days where they were picking up 20 tons of carrots at the railhead. I assumed those were for the horses. I kept trying to picture what 20 tons of carrots looks like.

Posted

It might be purchased. On the next diary page, I put in a hashtag that forage was purchased locally. So maybe 16 tons of the wood and coal were purchased locally, or maybe forage was purchased but the author neglected to include the word "forage."

Posted