War Diaries Talk

different Field Coy's

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Why are the reinforcements of other Field Coy's mentioned in this diary, Kind of centralization? Are lies the answer in the last paragraph: regard unit as a new company.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Your page is very difficult to read being faint. I have looked at the last entries and it seems that Demobilization started and reinforcements of Other Ranks arrived from other Companies. ...' As new units arrive - Regard as New Companies'. It maybe that these new Companies took the place of the demobilized men for the Army of Occupation.

PS. The 1st Division was selected to advance into Germany and form part of the Occupation Force at Bonn.

PPS Erik, I admire your persistence in tagging these pages- despite the difficulty of faint pages.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

I also admire your patience and persistence with this diary! It's a very long one!

Yes, it is a kind of centralization. After the end of hostilities, the Army began the process of downsizing (making it smaller). Those men who had signed on just for the duration of the war began to be demobilized, and units meant to exist only through the war were dissolved. Those men who wished to remain in the Army were consolidated into the remaining units.

Posted