War Diaries Talk

B-type shelter

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I heard about splinter proof, shell proof shelters, but what is a B-type shelter?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I don't know, Erik. I have not seen this term before. I have just had a quick look at Google but didn't find anything. Right now I need to go do something else, but I'll give it another search tomorrow.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

There is no hurry. Last year I went to an exhibition in Zonnebeke in the Memoriam Museum Passchendaele 1917 called Building the front. The exhibition highlighted only the German "buildings". It was a very interesting exhibition. One could buy a book with the same title "Building the front". https://www.amazon.com/Building-Front-Military-Structures-Spotlight/dp/9082252139
    Today I came across "4.2 proof" and that seems to be a shelter which resists a 4.2 shell.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I still can't find anything about B-type shelters. Maybe I am not using the best search terms, but I'm not having any luck at all.

They might just be a slightly altered version of the shelters they have been building. Maybe they had more or fewer windows or the door in a different place.

That exhibit sounds interesting. I remember reading somewhere several years ago about a farmer in Flanders who had, about the time the article was written, been plowing or otherwise working in a field and unearthed an entrance into a deep dugout or tunnels. I don't remember exactly. At the time, I had no idea that I would someday spend hours every week working with First World War documents!

Posted