War Diaries Talk

Ditto

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I tag "ditto" and "continued work as above" or similar expressions as construction. Is that correct?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Yes. I tag those kinds of comments as either Construction or Digging/Repairing Positions, depending on what type of work it is. I also use Other if they are working on something that doesn't fit the other two tags, like overhauling or painting wagons. That way the data will show that the unit was busy working every day.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

So "one" ditto can be tagged by different activities if the work on the previous day consisted of different activities.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I have done that when the company is split into two main parties, say one doing road work and one working in the trenches or making gun emplacements. If there are several different things going on, I will tag only one or two that seem to be of the most importance. In other words, if there is also a group making notice boards or four men repairing windows at brigade headquarters, I won't try to add tags for those to the word "ditto" because it just gets too crowded.

Posted