War Diaries Talk

Who is the author?

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Could it be that the CO is the author of the dairy now. I wonder because the author writes as if he is doing the visits etc?
    (PS: lost my "copperplate" writer)

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

This does sound like the CO is writing this because it does seem that he is personally visiting the emplacements, doing inspections, etc.The tone and style are definitely different from the previous author!

While you won't find a CO of an infantry battalion writing the diary, it does sometimes happen with these smaller units. Was there any mention of the previous author going on leave or transferring? Is this a new CO? Sometimes those types of changes can make a difference.

You can tag him as both In command and as Author of diary--if you can work out that name!

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

It is a new CO, but he is already in command since half July. My "copperplate" writer is replaced at the end of August. But the contents stays more or less the same. It is only from October on that presumably the CO starts to write. The name of the CO is G. de C.E. Findlay.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

The handwriting on the whole page looks like that where the CO's signature is. He is probably writing the diary, for now at least, although we will never know why.

Posted