War Diaries Talk

CBR

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

11th: I could find CBR (50% CG (phosgene) and 50% Arsenic Trichloride) on the net, but in the next line I read BJBR. Is that a gas shell too?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

There is a mention of a JBR shell in an article re -The British system of marking is similar to the American in that the gas shells were ... During World War 1,the British used gray or blue-gray as the base color for ..... The JBR shell was blue-gray (gas shell) with three red rings around the...

Link: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1DSGL_enGB426GB426&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=JBR+gas+shell+ww1&*

Not sure what the B in front of it is in your message maybe they had alphabetical numbers

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Erik, I can't find any references to BJBR, but I can find JBR, which is 50% hydrogen cyanide, 20% arsenic trichloride and 25% chloroform, and therefore an extremely nasty concoction. I imagine this is probably the same thing.

Posted

PS re gas shells. The Germans marked their shells yellow for mustard gas and green for chlorine and phosgene; hence they called the new gas Yellow Cross. It was known to the British as HS (Hun Stuff), while the French called it Yperite (named after Ypres).

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

That does sound nasty!

Posted

Effects of Mustard Gas

Mustard gas, or sulfur mustard, is a poisonous gas that causes an extremely powerful blistering effect on its victims. ... Victims first experience intense skin irritation and itching, which then turn into large blisters filled with yellow fluid in the areas the gas made contact with the skin. Also The most widely used, mustard gas, could kill by blistering the lungs and throat if inhaled in large quantities. Its effect on masked soldiers, however, was to produce terrible blisters all over the body as it soaked into their woollen uniforms. The traditional British spelling is sulphur and the US spelling is sulfur.

The image on google, of the effects of gas, are too awful to look at.

Posted