War Diaries Talk

German batteries

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

3rd line: batteries 426 and 486. How did they know the name (or number) of these batteries? Or are these just numbers given by the British themselve

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Erik, I'm having a bit of trouble reading it because it is both faint and small, but it looks like it says that Batteries 426 and 486 reported action and fired, which makes it sound like they are British batteries. Could they be from a different brigade attached to the 35th or else part of a group that the 35th is also part of?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I agree - these must be attached batteries.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I am not sure these are British batteries the diary says that those batteries were fired on or engaged: Page Image AWD0003o9n (5th Jan) battery 810 reported by plane was fired on. On this page AWD0003o8y (3rd line) it says batteries 426 and 486 reported active and fired ON. On page Image AWD0003oc9 (28th) again two batteries 465 and 486 engaged.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Okay, I see what you mean, Erik. Looks like we were wrong! In that case, they must have learned the unit designations through intelligence gained from prisoners or raids.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Sorry, I started the confusion by misreading the reference on the page Erik posted initially in this thread.

I'm glad you came back, Erik, and gave us more examples of the batteries in the diary.

Posted