War Diaries Talk

Confusing

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I find it quite confusing who is shelling what especially concerning Delville Wood. Think I mistagged a few times. I have als problem using the tag "under fire" when a certain place is being shelled, because I don't always know if the batteries are on that specific place.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Erik, in this case it seems that the batteries of 35 Bde are shelling Delville Wood.

What is often less clear is the second situation you describe, where it can often be hard to tell whether the brigade itself is being shelled, or whether they are just reporting shelling somewhere within their area of operations which does not directly affect them. In general, unless they specifically say a battery was shelled, I assume they are reporting shelling elsewhere and so I don't tag it.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you still have questions.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Instead of using "under fire" may I use "enemy activity" when its not clear if the brigade is being shelled or not?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, absolutely. That's what I do - I should have added that to my first reply!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I use "enemy activity" that way, too. I also use it when the enemy is shelling the infantry front line trenches and the artillery batteries retaliate. The batteries are not under fire, but the "enemy activity" is the cause of the batteries' firing on the enemy guns.

I also sometimes add a comment that shelling was mentioned but it's not clear who was firing.

Posted