War Diaries Talk

Diary Page?

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Tagging as a diary page? Much of the diary pages I tagged - concerning the battle of the Somme - contained similar gridreferences. So I am inclined to tag them as diary pages.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

If it was the actual diary entry for 1 July, I would use the 'Diary page' option, but I wouldn't tag all those grid refs simply because I wouldn't want to spend 10 minutes typing them all in. It says 'Appendix' at the top, so I'd just use the Report option and be done with it. It doesn't even say what those grid refs refer to, but the words 'lifted' and 'rate' tell me that those grid refs are the locations being fired at.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

Erik, If this diary has a previous entry for July 1st that actually covered what happened that day, I would tag this as a report, but if the July 1st diary page was short and lacked details, or if it doesn't exist at all, I would tag this as a diary page.

If you decide it is a report, the comment left by f0rbe5 explains nicely what this is. I'm guessing he tagged it as a report and that is why he left the comment. You could add #annotated #gridreferences as well, though.

ETA: Now that I've seen your other question about the 58th Battery and seen a diary page from the unit, I would say this one should be tagged as a report.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to Stork's comment.

I understand that filling in grid references, as well as times, can be tedious in the extreme, but if you do not want to tag these items, then please choose only diaries that do not contain large numbers of them. Machine gun, trench mortar, and artillery units all often use a large number of grid references, and you may find them in supply column diaries as well.

Consistently skipping over some types of tags means your work is wasted as it is not very useful to the project.

Posted