War Diaries Talk

Map References

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

This diary for the 43rd Brigade RFA often includes a map reference for simply a "trench map." I've been tagging them because they relate to some of the place designations in the diary text. On this page, the first line includes V6 and V3, which I think must be marked on the trench map. Earlier there was a trench map listed by number and in the text there were mentions of "houses at 65 and 59." Again, I think these are marked on this map.

I have found a trench map online like these for the same area around Neuve Chapelle where places were numbered, but the numbers didn't match up with those in this diary.

I'm not sure whether tagging the trench map as a map reference is actually useful though.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

It looks like they're the 1:10000 maps. Possibly the difference in numbering may be down to different editions of the map. I think unless it's possible to identify the map sheet, though, it's probably not worth tagging it.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Oh, I didn't include the scale. They are 1/5,000. Much more detailed and the one I found looked hand drawn, not a regular trench map with the grids. That may be why everything has its own number, come to think of it, rather than the usual references.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Oh okay. Although larger scale maps like that were produced and used, they weren't part of the standard series we're used to. That probably explains the lack of continuity in numbering. They also tended to be named after the main area they depicted, rather than with the usual code.

Posted