War Diaries Talk

H.C. Stanley Clarke

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Sometimes it is not very clear to me if a name is a part of a surname or just a forename. On this page this lt. col. is written H.C.S. Clarke. On another page it was Stanley Clarke. In lives of the first world war I find Stanley-Clarke (with a dash) as a surname, but also Clarke as surname and Henry Calvert Stanley as his forenames. Which is the right one?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Came across this article regarding (34th Brigade) 70th Battery commanded by (Major) H S C Clarke. (34th Brigade) was originally formed with 22nd, 50th and 70th Batteries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/34th_Brigade_Royal_Field_Artillery

Maybe he was later promoted later to Lt. Col. as your diary read:

7th Divisional Artillery grouped for tactical control with right centre and left groups. Centre Group to be commanded by Lt. Col .H S C Clarke RFA and consisting of 25th and 50th and composite battery consisting of 1 section of 35th Battery RFA. With the 12th Battery in reserve).

Named in the article as H S Clarke but maybe the moderator has more information regarding his name.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm not very clear on the proper protocol for hyphenating surnames either. I can tell you that when it changes I try to use the way it first appeared in the diary. That way it is consistent throughout. However, if I find a signature, like at the end of a month, then I use it that way. I think that in this case Clarke is the most important name.

I have noticed that Lives and the diaries often do not agree on hyphens.

Posted