War Diaries Talk

Gridreferences

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I don't quite understand the gridreferences on this page. The brigade is staying at Gorre (trench map 36a grid F.3. But on the 6th a mine explodes in A.9, more than 25km to the west?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I read this that on the 1st November that the 25th Battery were at their new position at F.5.b.5.2. Enemy exploded a small mine about 100 yards west of Duck's Bill. We exploded a mine at A.9.d.4.7. Gaps in the German wire were noticed at A.9.b.2.1.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Erik, I'm assuming that although the 25th Battery were in position in grid F5, the brigade must have had other batteries stationed further west. Otherwise I can't see how they could have fired on the gaps in the german wire they mention. This is often the case with artillery brigades - the various batteries will sometimes be quite far removed from each other.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Keep in mind that the artillery battery didn't explode the mine. "We" as it's used here means the British, not this individual unit. It can be confusing sometimes in a diary that includes a lot of general activity along the front to sort out what pertains to just the unit of the diary.

Also, I think that when the diary says they are in Gorre, it means their headquarters were there. The units, as Rob says, were scattered around the area.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I think A.9 is on another map: 36c NW 1:20,000 Le Plantin (Festubert) - Hill 70 1917/12. A.9 being near Givenchy-lès-la-Bassée which is about 5km to the east of Gorre.

Posted