War Diaries Talk

What to do?

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I couldn't tag the pages 73, 74 and 75 (due to system issue I think), but I can see two of them (74 and 75) in my profile. Do I tag those pages using the comment box?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

That's odd, because those pages actually look fine, and each has already been tagged by two other people. What happened exactly - did you have the same issue you had with the 4th Bde RHA?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Ral I am not sure whether to continue tagging. Have had problem with site It comes up with the message Site not secure. Can you advise please? 9.44pm Tuesday

Posted

Marie, it looks like I replied to your other message while you were replying to this one 😄

The site is fine for me, so I'd suggest restarting your computer as a first step to see whether that fixes this issue.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I've just heard that there have been problems with Amazon Web Services today. I don't know if they are affecting service in the UK, but might it be affecting all of Zooniverse?

I couldn't get in here at all a few hours ago.

Posted

I didn't realise that - it could well be the problem, Cynthia. I'm pretty sure at least some Zooniverse services are hosted on amazon servers.

Posted

Still a problem. When I open up the site there is a green secure padlock symbol. When I sign in it changes the insecure i symbol comes up. This happened 3 hours ago and after signing out and in again still the same problem. Has it anything to do with this message;

When you go to a site that uses HTTPS (connection security), the website's server uses a certificate to prove the website's identity to browsers, like Chrome. Anyone can create a certificate claiming to be whatever website they want.

I went onto the ANZAC site and it was OK.

Is there a problem with your site?

Posted

Actually, it looks like there are general issues with Zooniverse as a whole at the moment. Erik, this may account for why you couldn't tag those pages.

My advice: sit tight and see what happens - the technical team are investigating. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Posted

Thanks Ral and Cynthia for your quick replies to the problem. Actually it started when after tagging a page and pressing the Finish button it would not let me finish.

Posted

Apparently Amazon is working on a fix and expect to be operating normally soon. The article I read said by about now, but I always add on to those estimates.

Posted

Marie, that sounds consistent with the issues Erik has had.

Cynthia - I guess if this has knocked things off kilter for Zooniverse, they may also have things to fix or restart, so it may take a bit longer than the amazon fix anyway.

I'm afraid I'm off for the night now, but hopefully this will all have resolved itself by tomorrow morning (UK time) - the Zooniverse team are in Chicago, so they should be in full swing right now. I'm sure they'll get things fixed asap.

Apologies for the inconvenience, everybody!

Posted

I'll keep checking in throughout the rest of my day. It's only 2 pm here, so I'll keep an eye on things.

Posted

AWS is now apparently able to retrieve data that was already stored. They are now working on customers being able to add new data.

For those of you in the UK or Europe, I think you should just call it a night for OWD as Zooniverse is also having problems.

Posted

I've just tagged a few pages, at about 9 pm in the western US so about 5 am (?) in UK, and they seem to have gone all right. No hangups with the Finish button.

Here's hoping all of the server issues are fixed.

Posted

All Zooniverse services seem to be running okay today. Looks like that's it and OWD should be fully functional again.

Posted

Image AWD0003o5e : this page has no pagenumber in the classifying screen. but it has one in the talk screen. I wonder what will happen when I push te Finish thing.... And all went well. New page has a pagenumber.

Posted

I'm hoping this is just all the gremlins from yesterday working their way out of the system, Erik, but let us know if you have any other problems.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

Erik, every now and then if I sign out and leave a page partially finished, when I come back there is no page number. I've always assumed it has something to do with signing out with an active page. But it doesn't seem to affect my ability to finish tagging it and move on to the next page, which always has a page number.

Posted

Query regarding security for the project. *the i symbol at beginning of https://www.operationwardiary.org/#/classify

When I sign into the project, the *message at the top of the page shows site secure. When I bring a diary page up the symbol changes and shows that the site is insecure.

Has this anything to do with this message? (What a security certificate is - When you go to a site that uses HTTPS (connection security), the website's server uses a certificate to prove the website's identity to browsers, like Chrome. Anyone can create a certificate claiming to be whatever website they want).

Is anyone else receiving this symbol to say the site is not secure? I am using Windows 10 and Chrome.

Posted

I also have that "i" (don't know howlong). When yoy click on that i you get some information, but I should only worry if I saw a red triangle.

Posted

We did have some issues with this a year or so ago, if I recall. That time, Zooniverse had made some server-side changes which took a little while to filter through to everybody, so there was a period of a day or so when the site appeared to be compromised. Given the issues we had yesterday, I suspect this is something similar, so I would hope it will all clear up today or tomorrow.

As for the 'i' itself, I think that appeared a few google updates ago. As Erik says, it's just a summary of page info and stats.

Posted

i is used to indicate information in a lot of places these days.

Posted

As the ‘i’ button said: “Your connection to this site is not fully secure. Attackers may be able to see the images you are looking at on this site and trick you by modifying them. That is why I reported it.

Posted

Marie, that's interesting. My message just says that information I share is not private and may be viewed by others. No mention of attackers playing tricks.

Posted

Oh I see - sorry, Marie I thought you were getting a warning when I read your message last night. I see the same message about security as you do when I click on the 'i', but it's nothing to worry about. It's just Chrome's assessment of security, which doesn't take into account what the page is actually used for. In this case, it just means it's not secured for entering sensitive information like credit card details. But as we're not dealing with anything like that, we don't need that kind of security.

Posted