War Diaries Talk

From Bassily to Zullik

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

If one enters Bassily in Google Earth nothing appears in the down list. But when one enters Zullik (being Dutch for Bassily), Bassily appears in the down list. I found the Dutch translation in Google. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly,_Belgium .

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

When I tried it, I had no problem. It shows as "Bassilly, Silly, Belgium."

I would guess that either you inadvertently misspelled it, or it has to do with where you are located. Does Google change languages depending on where you are?

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

I think Google does that. All the cities that have a Dutch equivalent appear in Dutch on my screen. Londen is Londen, Paris is Parijs, Köln is Keulen. Sometimes those tranlations are very similar, but they can als be very different: Eigenbrakel and Braine-l'Alleud are the same Belgian city, Sint-Winoksbergen and Bergues are the same French city. One can change the language in Google for example to get the names of the French cities in French , but than the language of the menu changes also in French.

I want to add something else about Google. When you have an apostrophe in the name of a city, for example Waret l'Eveque, you get no response in the down list. But when you omit the apostrophe for example Waret l Eveque, you get Waret l'Eveque.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

That's interesting about the apostrophe. It doesn't happen on my Google Maps. I have noticed it with the geo-locator in the Place tag, though. If you type in Richebourg-l'Avoue, for example, absolutely nothing happens when you hit Enter. But Richebourg Avoue will come up with l'Avoue.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

It's weird, isn't it? Processing apostrophes can sometimes be a bit problematic in code, although there are plenty of ways around it. But perhaps the geolocator just can't recognise them properly.

Posted