War Diaries Talk

Point 95, point 96 and F.M.

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Point 95, point 96 (10th): gridreferences? And what does F.M. mean (11th)?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I wonder if it is a FM Transmitter (Wireless Set) – for communications - i.e (to FM 1 mile). I think Point 95 and 96 are places where they were.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I think that Point 95 and Point 96 must be locations marked on their maps. F.M. is probably Ferme de Mamont, which is just about 1 mile west of Cottenchy, which is south of Amiens.

Does this seem to be about the right location, Erik?

It can't be an FM transmitter because FM radio wasn't invented until 1933.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Cynthia, on what map did you find Ferme de Mamont?

Posted

Yes, Cynthia I agree with what you say abut FM but I was probably misled by this article:

Edwin Howard Armstrong patented his discovery in 1913, and licensed it to the Marconi company in 1914. And then he was off to France to fight in World War I. On the battlefields of western Europe, Captain Armstrong discovered that the American Expeditionary Force had little or no radio. Almost single handedly, he remedied that situation -- on the ground, and in the air. He personally designed and outfitted the fledging Allied air force with radios, often going up and testing them himself. Then, while still stationed in Paris, he invented something then called the superheterodyne receiver, a complex bit of electronic sorcery that is still basic to the tuner found in almost every radio and television and radar.

PS An Italian named Guglielmo Marconi invented the radio in 1895 as a means of transmitting information using wireless radio waves. He developed the technology, which he called the wireless telegraph, while experimenting at his father's country estate.

PPS That was a bit of good work Cynthia finding FM on the map!

Posted

Eric, if you go into google maps (It currently shows Mons, Belgium) just type in Ferme de Mamont and search, it will also show surrounding areas when you zoom in and out. Link for this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mons,+Belgium/@50.445691,3.8296208,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x47c24558a6578cfb:0x40099ab2f4d6c90!8m2!3d50.4542408!4d3.956659

PS I know you put this question to Cynthia but because I have just sent you a message I thought I would give you this link at the same time.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

After Cynthia came up with Ferme de Mamont being F.M. I did find Ferme de Mamont in Google Earth but not on a trench Map, so I wondered how Cynthia knew F.M. stood for Ferme de Mamont.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I would guess Cynthia also found it using google maps, but I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong 😄

Posted

All I did was search for Cottenchy on Google maps, then I switched to the Earth view, zoomed in and looked for anything to the west of the town. There are two farms in that area and one was Ferme de Mamont. The other has a completely different name.

Although this morning I have noticed that the diary actually specifies west of the C in Cottenchy, rather than just west of Cottenchy, so depending on where that word was on their maps, F.M. may be a different location.

Do you have a trench map for that area, Erik? The two sites I normally use to find them don't have maps for that include Cottenchy.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Ok. I search on the trench map and could only find "Ferme" on that spot.

Posted

I think it is probably Ferme de Mamont, then.

Posted