War Diaries Talk

Cavalry attack

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Squadron of 10th Hussars tried to gallop a village and met heavy machine gun fire. Didn't they learn no lessons from the past?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Mentioned in this extract, from an article – 10th Hussars -I think you may find it interesting, particularly the remarks concerning the Cavalry – the last 2 lines.

THE BATTLE OF ARRAS April 9 to April 23, 1917 Link: http://freeread.com.au/@rglibrary/ArthurConanDoyle/History/H244-TheGreatWar.html

"In the meantime the 111th Brigade of the Thirty-seventh Division had advanced directly upon Monchy, and after severe fighting, in which the splendid infantry struggled onwards in the face of every possible difficulty of German resistance and of driving snowstorms, the place was carried by assault. The three regiments of cavalry from the 8th Brigade, the Royal Horse Guards, 10TH HUSSARS, and Essex Yeomanry, advanced at a gallop and did splendid service by taking part in the attack, following closely upon the infantry, and helping to consolidate the village. By nine o'clock in the morning the I3th K.R.R. and 13th Rifle Brigade, greatly aided by a very active and April 11. efficient tank, had driven their way to the farthest houses upon the eastern side. About 150 of the garrison remained in their hands, while very many lay dead among the ruins of the shattered buildings. The cavalry, who lost their brave leader. General Bulkeley Johnson, emerged on the eastern side of the village and lost heavily at that point, especially in horses, some 500 of which were hit. They had the satisfaction, however, of getting their light guns fairly on to the Germans, as they streamed across the open.
    One who was present says: "The cavalry filled the gap between us and the 112th Brigade. They lost heavily, and their conduct was magnificent." The new gain was instantly consolidated by the Colonel of the Rifles".

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

The British cavalry seemed, to me at least, to be very slow in realizing that warfare had changed and what machine guns would do to their horses.

It's amazing how often terrible things happen because the lessons of the past are forgotten or ignored.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Not entirely true, cavalrymen thought that the extra speed of movement on a horse was still an advantage. David Kenyon's book "Horsemen in no man's land" is a very useful look at the employment of British Empire cavalry on the Western Front (there were far more cavalry actions than you'd think).

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you, David, for correcting me. I don't really know a lot about the cavalry. That was why I phrased my comment as an opinion.

I'll have to find that book.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

You can get it on kindle, if you have a kindle.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for it as I do have a kindle.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to David_Underdown's comment.

David, I've begun reading Horsemen in No Man's Land. It's quite interesting and I'm learning a great deal.

I do have a question for you or maybe Rob. What is dead ground? There have been a couple of mentions of it, such as the led horses being taken to dead ground. I've seen one definition of it as ground that is hidden from observation by the enemy, but I thought I would ask here, too.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

An article referring to dead ground:

i.e. (military) an area of ground hidden from an observer due to undulations in the land.
    Link: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dead_ground

Maybe this is the definition you refer to.

Also Also images of horses taken to dead ground.

Link: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=horses+taken+to+dead+ground+ww1&sa=N&rlz=1C1DSGL_enGB426GB426&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwj__oucr_LRAhXHDsAKHcgrAOo4ChDsCQgl

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

In the UK we have road signs warning of hidden dips, usually associated with restrictions on overtaking. Same idea, things are hidden from sight by the lie of the land.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Next time I come across one of those signs, I'm going to be disappointed not to find a cavalry squadron waiting beyond it!

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

No such sign http://www.clker.com/cliparts/9/c/4/1/11949851371415417060horse.svg.med.png ? 😄

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

Ha, ha! Rob should keep a look out for one of those.

Posted