War Diaries Talk

31 G38 K34

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

and another one 94 G75 K25. "C fired 31 G38 K34 rounds" and "C fired 94 G75 K25". At first I thought it were gridreferences, but there is no G38 or G75. So what are those letters and numbers?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

The C, G and K refer to the batteries in the 4th Brigade and the numbers refer to the number of rounds each battery fired, probably the total for those days.

In reference to one of your comments on this page, I've also found Le Rutoire on Google Earth but didn't notice the name. It's a large farm just to the east of Vermelles.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I can see the name Le Rutoir on Google Earth (are there different versions?), but not in Google Maps nor in satellite view of Google Maps, and indeed it is a large farm

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

There may be different versions of Google Earth because mine does not have Le Rutoir. It shows Chemin de Bully as the road where the farm is located. I found it from comparing trench maps to Google Earth.

Of course, my version of Google Maps and Google Earth here in the US show distances in feet and miles. I expect yours is all metric.

Posted