War Diaries Talk

Misfiled?

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

The previous page covered the whole of December and was signed by lt col W.H. Kay. This page starts on December 15th and is signed by a illegible lt col.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Do you think the bottom half of this page refers only to K Battery? The handwriting changes at the line on the left side; it is similar, but look at the D in Dec., which is very different.

Sometimes a battery might be detached to another group, or it might be sent off on its own to cover a certain part of the area.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Could it be that the Adjutant is signing for the Lt. Col but cannot decipher his name.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

You are right. The handwriting is different, but the handwriting of the upper half is also different from the previous page (Image AWD0003kdb) which is signed by lt col Kay. Could it be that the detached batteries made their own "diary"? But if this should be the case, then why is this the first appearence of such a "additional diary page"?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Erik, You are right that this page is misfiled. It is from December, 1916, and the signature is Lt. Col. A. D. Mainwright. I had to look ahead a long way; this is page 183.

From here, this diary will shortly begin a quite long series of orders that appear to be also misfiled. I did not look at all of them, but there were some where the date was 1917 that come before diary dates in 1916. It is difficult to sort out because, like this page, most of the diary pages do not include a year.

The commanding officer seemed to change a lot, too.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Do I mention does misfiled orders?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Don't worry, Erik. We've got a note of them now. Thanks.

Posted