War Diaries Talk

Take a look at the "Place" on this diary page

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

Haven't seen a "Place" like this before - "14 Bis". Any ideas?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Puits 14 bis was a mine working quite close to the village of Loos itself but to the east and close to Bois Hugo (I tag 14 Bis as a place).

Also from records I found the following: ...Sir John French in his despatch described the Puits 14 bis as "another coal mine, possessing great possibilities for defence when taken in conjunction with a strong redoubt situated on the north-east side of Hill 70."

There was a discussion on this subject on the The Mess Hall Board / The Objects quite a while ago and as Cynthia the Moderator also remarked in the discussion...”tagging it as a Place because it was the name of a sector of the line in that area, and so is a term that would be recognized by researchers familiar with WW1”.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Marie is correct. I just want to add that you will see it as both Puits 14 bis or, as on this diary page, just 14 bis. Sometimes the B is uppercase and sometimes not.

That whole area near Loos was dotted with coal mines and slag heaps, such as the Double Crassier, but Puits 14 bis was chosen by the Army to represent a sector of the line.

Posted