War Diaries Talk

Les 4 fils Aymon (a little Belgian heritage)

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

In Flanders, in the city of Dendermonde, there is every 10 years a procession with the four sons on the giant horse Bayard. The four sons must meet the following conditions:

1. It has to be four consecutive brothers, without a girl in between. 2) They all have to be born in Dendermonde. 3) The parents and
      grandparents have to be born in Dendermonde. 4)They have to be between 7 and 21 years old on the day of the procession. 5) They have to live
      in Dendermonde or one of its suburbs.

In Wallonia, in the city of Dinant, there is a rock which is called "Rocher Bayard" because it was the horse Bayard that split the rock with its horseshoes when it was fleeing with the foursome. https://reizendichtbijhuis.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/dinant-roche-beyaert-kopie.jpg By the way, Le Rocher Bayard was also the furthest point the Germans could reach during the Battle of the Bulge. But that was another war.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you for posting this, Erik. One of the things I love about working on OWD is the odd little bits of history I have found and learned, some of which are not about the First World War at all. This particular story is one of my favorites.

I also tagged this diary, and when I got to this section, I looked up Les 4 fils Aymon with Google, although I was looking for the place, as mentioned in the first line of this page you have posted. I found a page that gave the legend, all in French, which I managed to stumble through with my rusty French, but it did not tell about the procession you posted.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

There are many (most) amateur movies of the procession on You Tube. Just search for "ROS BEIAARD".

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I remember having a discussion with Cynthia about this a while back. Thanks for the extra information, Erik.

Posted