War Diaries Talk

Very few names

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

What strikes me in this diary is that there are hardly any names mentioned in it with the exception of the brigadier general and the major general. If there is a name mentioned it mostly happens in a report. No one departs on leave or follows a course or is admitted to hospital or ....

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I noticed that, too, when I tagged this diary. The author's focus is definitely not on the people around him.

ETA: I just looked back through my notes and found that by June 1917 there are a lot more names mentioned. Also, if you want a diary with LOTS of names, the 8th Royal Dublin Fusiliers lists a great many of them.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

On the next page I found a 2nd Lt Fulton 😃

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I tagged an Irish diary in Oct and there were 10 pages of casualties from June 27th up to 1st July 1916 for A, B,C and D Companies.

The total figure of tagged casualties on these 10 pages running in sequence, was 580 names.

PS Another diary I tagged had a nominal roll nearly every month.

Good news for the Historians researching names in these diaries!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

July 1, 1916, was a terrible day for the Irish battalions.

Good work in tagging all those names.

Posted