War Diaries Talk

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I suppose this should be tagged as a report ? Never thought I would find my hometown Ghent in this diaries.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Coincidences regarding Ghent. I just started a book yesterday, entitled ‘Lady under Fire on the Western Front’ – The Great War Diaries of Lady Dorothie Fielding, MM. She volunteered and spent nearly 4 years driving ambulance on the Western Front. In 1914 she is in Ghent and describes the situation.

Apparently the Belgian Army was frantically engaged in what was known as the 1st Yser Battle. They took the drastic steps of opening the sluices and flooding the land in front of the advancing German Army and creating impassable flooded marshland. She also met up with the War Correspondent Philip Gibbs in Oct 1914 who was in Ghent. Actually, I posted an article about him in the Historian's Arms, just before I started reading this book.

Battle of Yser- Belgian Army 1914. Article link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Yser Showing Belgian Soldiers in 1914.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I think I would tag it as a report. How interesting! It must be from the Royal Engineers.

And thank you for the link, Marie.

ETA: I think I will have to read that book now.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, definitely a report.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Today I read page 166 of Lady under Fire. For someone who isn't familiar with the English language its not always easy to read that book, but it is sometimes touching to see how the many casualties change the way she looks at life. By the way, in the diary of the 6th Connaught Rangers I came across a major R.C. Feilding.

Posted

Erik, Ghent is also mentioned in the diaries of the 7th Division, which landed in Zeebrugge in October to try to hold Antwerp. As I remember from one of the infantry battalions I tagged, the troops did not go as far as Ghent, but it was mentioned several times.

Posted

Cynthia here is some information about the book ' ‘Lady under Fire on the Western Front’ – The Great War Diaries of Lady Dorothie Fielding, MM. It is edited by Andrew and Nicola Hallam. (A Pen and Sword Book) - with an email reference: www.pen-and-sword.co.uk It is a really an interesting book considering we have both tagged quite a few Field Ambulance diaries.

Posted

6th Connaught Rangers commanded by Lt. Col. Rowland Fieldin - 19/09/1917 to 31/03/1918. Article on this link regarding him.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8CFbBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT553&lpg=PT553&dq=6th+Connaught+Rangers+commanded+by+Rowland+Feilding&source=bl&ots=d6Whteod8P&sig=rqF7tq_lpRFI3oL3CDnSdDTcR7s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizv9aVibjQAhXJKsAKHcglBSgQ6AEIMzAE#v=onepage&q=6th Connaught Rangers commanded by Rowland Feilding&f=false

Posted

Thank you, Marie. I've also checked on Amazon, and I can get it for my Kindle or a used copy of the actual book.

Posted