War Diaries Talk

Tagging dates when an entry carries over from one page to the next

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

This is actually for Rob or Heather to answer, although of course, if anyone else has comments please jump in. I can't believe I still have questions, but I do.

On a page like this, where you can see that the first entry carries over from the previous page without a date attached to it, how should that entry be tagged, as far as the date goes?

I've been putting the date in and attaching the line to the top of the undated entry, because it seems to me that should someone be looking at this page by itself, it won't make sense otherwise. Most diaries seem to use a date marked as a continuation in these cases, but this author doesn't.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I think I would not have put the date of the 13th on the page at the top, as it is a small gap of 1 line and just put the date for the 14th at the beginning of the next line for that entry.

Although for pages with a larger gaps I would have put the date in again to capture the activities. Therefore, there would be 2 entries for the same date tagged in the diary.

I'm not sure how the diary pages are collated for perhaps Historians or others to read. But now you have me wondering about this!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Cynthia, your approach is exactly what I would have recommended. Where it's clear that the first entry on a page belongs to a date on the preceding page, then tagging the date again on the new page is the best way to handle it.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

And what to do if on the previous page the dates were "bundled" (for example 15 Apr to 26 Apr) and the bundle continues on the next page Normally one should tag the first date (15 Feb) of the " bundle" at the beginning and the last date (26th Apr) of the bundle just before 27th Apr.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

In that case, I would also repeat the bundled date tags on the second page, Erik.

Posted