War Diaries Talk

patrolling

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

When an officer goes out patrolling, I choose OTHER as reason or should I put COMBAT?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I would have used the tag for patrolling and reconnoitering.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Marie is right. Use the tag for Patrolling & Reconnoitring. It's near the top of the list under Unit Activity.

I use it for any patrols or any time anyone is out looking over trenches or where the battalion will be attacking. The diaries sometimes use the word "inspecting," something like "Officers went up to the line to inspect the ground," but I think of this as fitting reconnoitring.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my question. What I mean is when I tag an officers name (lt Cummins on the 27th) what do I choose as reason: Combat or other?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm sorry. If I had paid more attention, I would have realized that Combat is only an option in the Person tag!

Anyway, I usually use Other in this case along with the Unit Activity tag for Patrolling & Reconnoitring. Combat is not really the best choice because most patrols usually take place when they are not involved in a raid, attack, or counterattack. However, if the diary says an officer was reconnoitring in the midst of an attack, then Combat would be the right choice.

Posted