War Diaries Talk

Identifaction

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Why was the identification "not normal"? Did they expect an another unit?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Against the 5th - re prisoners, there is an entry in the remarks column (Appendix 11) against this date. There may be an explanation in this Appendix if it appears in the diary. Maybe having 21 prisoners they did not have time to identify them properly, only that they were from the 4th Grenadier Regiment (Prussians). i.e. if their pockets contained any useful information, paperwork etc, regarding their Regiment, or information from the prisoner's dog tags.

If this Appendix appears, it would be interesting to know if it refers to these prisoners.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I think you're right, Erik, that they expected another unit, or at least not Prussians, to be occupying the area around that farm.

I would expect that appendix to be the orders for the 6th Connaught Rangers moving into the line.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Appendix II concerns indeed the relieve of the 6th R.I.Regt. No information about the prisoners

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I agree with Cynthia - the phrasing is a little odd, but essentially I think they were expecting the prisoners to be from a different unit.

Posted