War Diaries Talk

grid

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

How do I tag N.24.10?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think probably just enter N 24 into the first couple of boxes on the grid ref tag, Erik. Difficult to know which subsequent area of that square the 10 is referring to.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I think these type of references designate particular trenches with the N.24 square on a map. I've seen them in several diaries from these 16th Div. battalions that were in the Messines/Wytschaete area.

I haven't yet found a trench map that names any of the British trenches in this area, only the German ones.

Posted

Ah, that makes sense. But I would still just enter the N.24 section of the grid ref in this case, as it seems the 10 doesn't fit in with the standard numbering system.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Image AWD0003h4d on this page I found the following gridreference N36 9 8. On page AWD0003gx5 I think I read N4 36 11. What kind of grid is this, I tagged N36 and N4.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

It looks like the lower-case letter for the a, b, c, or d square has been left out.

I'm not sure if you can put the numbers in the right place on the Grid Reference tag without the letter or not. I'm sure that tagging them as N.36 and N.4 is fine.

Posted

I think it's best just to stick with N.36 and N.4 in this case. A bit frustrating, but at least we can partially locate them!

Posted