War Diaries Talk

10 killed

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

I wonder if the author didn't make a mistake in the number of killed soldiers, because in the records of CWGC I can find only one soldier of the 6th Connaught Rangers killed on 2/9/1916.

Posted

• f0rbe5 by f0rbe5

I'd take the diary as accurate - on the spot on the day. You can't be certain that the modern records are full and comprehensive. For my current unit, 8th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, there are no modern records of casualties that I've been able to find.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be's comment.

Erik, I just looked up the Connaught Rangers on the CWGC site and I wonder if the men killed on the 2nd might have been listed together with those killed on the 3rd. (From this diary page it looks like they were involved in some kind of operation on the 3rd.) I searched for men killed from the 1st through the 4th Sept.

The other possibility is that 9 of the men killed on the 2nd were actually attached to the the 6th Btn. and so would be listed in the CWGC records as from their regular battalion. I think this is probably less likely than my first suggestion.

I would still tag the casualties from the 2nd as listed in the diary.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to f0rbe5's comment.

I've also been tagging the 8th Royal Dublin Fusiliers and have found quite a lot of records of men in both Lives of the First World War and the CWGC site. There have been a few I have not been able to locate anywhere, but those are a definite minority.

How are you searching for them?

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

I only use CWGC to look for killed soldiers. Can one search in Lives of the First World War for soldiers killed on a specific date when one doesn't know their name?

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

On the 3rd september they were involved in an attack and most of the 200 casualties were caused by their own trench mortars.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I don't know if you can search in Lives of the First World War by date. It doesn't look like it is set up for that as there are not any selections for dates in the options to the left side of a list of men. You can search by regiment. However, a search for Royal Dublin Fusiliers brought up 1,243 pages! And almost 25,000 names! I suppose you could narrow that down, though.

For tagging the diaries, there isn't any need to do a search by dates. If a man's name is not given in the diary, we should not try to find him elsewhere and add it. It is perfectly permissible to tag individuals using only the information in the diary without looking any further.

I find it useful to use Lives of the First World War to search when a name or number in the diary is not clearly written. When I have time, I also look to see if I can add a first name, but I only do so when I am certain that it is the same person. There are errors in the diaries and in Lives of the First World War, since all of that information came from the medal cards that were all made 100 years ago, so we need to be sure the two match closely enough.

I think my last comment to you yesterday was not very clear. I meant that the casualties from the 2nd September could be tagged using the Casualties tag with 10 killed and 30 wounded.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

In this case, I would take the information given in the diary as accurate. There is sometimes confusion in the casualty figures and I've seen them revised as new information came in, but the information we have at this point in the diary reflects the situation as the adjutant believed it to be at the time.

Posted