War Diaries Talk

How to annotate different sections

• DaftWelshman by DaftWelshman

I am currently processing the diaries for a Machine Gun Company, made up of four sections.
    They seem to have operated in a more fluid manner than an infantry formation who have tended to stick together
    My problem is that different sections are often doing different things - some are joining the line and relieving a setion from a different company whilst others are withdrawing and being relieved by a different section.
    Entering these different actions and locations must create very confusing reading for those who follow behind me.
    Has anyone any suggestions how to effectively annotate this?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Tagging a machine gun company can be a bit difficult for the reasons you outlined above. Each section typically operates independently so not all of our tags fit exactly.

The best way is to look for activities that do fit our tags: firing at the enemy, being under fire, references to other enemy activity (wiring or working parties, patrols, etc.). You can record if they are in the line or in reserve. Making gun emplacements falls under Digging/repairing positions or sometimes Construction if it's a really major job. Don't worry about tagging movements such as being relieved by another section, but do record when reliefs with another M.G. Coy. take place. Also, most of the the Army Life tags fit.

If you're in doubt, keep in mind we want to record as much useful information as we can for potential researchers. Names are the most important information to capture. Remember, too, that four other people will also tag this diary before it is deemed complete and the data is compiled. So if you make a really random tag here or there, it won't affect the results adversely. And always feel free to ask questions here.

I'm curious as to why your question has this page from the 1st Hampshire Regiment diary attached, seeing as it is not a machine gun company.

Posted