War Diaries Talk

detonated

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Is there a special reason why it is specified that "all Mills bombs, rifle grenades and "P" bombs issued will be detonated"?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Re "All Mills bombs, rifle grenades and "P" bombs issued from dumps will be detonated". Maybe these would normally be issued without a detonator fitted and he is saying be aware these have detonators fitted. I believe the detonators were kept separately.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I don't have an answer for you, Erik. What is the date of these orders?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia on reading this comment re date of orders I noticed that this page 577, 2nd page of order - para. 4 nd 5, 8 Btn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers mention the dates 4th and 6th.

I read the comments posted by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be and found that page 576 was the 1st page of this order, paras. 1,2 and 3. It was dated 3/6/1917. Here is the link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003j1n
    Hope Erik does not mind me posting this!

Cynthia I changed my original message about these detonators and have altered it as above regarding the question on the orders.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you, Marie. I thought it was likely for June 1917, but I didn't want to assume. All of these Irish battalions seem to have been involved in that battle.

I still don't have an answer for Erik. Maybe Rob or David will be able to help.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Indeed, much Irish battalions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_Ireland_Peace_Park

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think Marie's right - it's a slightly odd turn of phrase, but essentially they seem to be saying that the explosives will be live and everybody should therefore take care with them.

Posted