War Diaries Talk

Argentine

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Is this not unusual, an officer granted a three months leave to Argentine. AWD000375e

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Yes! I haven't seen anything like that before in any of the diaries I've tagged.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I have no idea what that's about - perhaps he had family out there. It doesn't sound like official business, given it was leave.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

There was quite a big British community in Argentina before the war - most of the railways there were British built and strong ties with the navy. Also banking and supplying beef. It's one reason they still play rugby. There was also the Welsh "colony" in Patagonia. I think there was a published roll of honour for the British Argentine community, it may be available online via archive.org or similar.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thanks, David.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

That's interesting. I always assumed it was the Welsh who were responsible for the rugby.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

There were quite a few schools set up on English public (ie independent) school lines. (Field) Hockey is quite big too - cricket doesn't seem to have had quite such a grip, though I think some is played.

Posted