War Diaries Talk

Parades

• KPepper by KPepper

There is a tag under Army Life for Parades, but from what I've read, that term is used for (1) marching around as part of training (2) when they put on a parade for the community (3) when the community puts on a parade for them (4) when they "parade" over to a building/area for a religious service. What is the term under Army Life actually supposed to refer to?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm far from an expert on this, but it seems that the term parade is used for any situation when the unit, or part of it such as a company or section, is lined up in a formation for one of many possible reasons. There are parades for determining if everyone is present, for drill, for training, and being paid. Also religious services, as you mentioned, but I think that they don't necessarily go anywhere, but may hold the services on their parade ground. Sometimes they do move somewhere else, as when there are bathing parades and they go to another location where there may be brigade or divisional baths, or when they parade before the unit moves to another location.

I use the Parade tag for any mention of a parade for any reason.

Posted

• KPepper by KPepper

Thanks cyngast! I was worried the Parade tag only applied to one of the many options and that I was misusing it!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Cynthia's spot on, as usual! This tag can be deployed for any mention of a parade, at any time, with absolute impunity 😄

Posted