War Diaries Talk

Signature of O C and name of place Les 3 Tilleuls

• momonaco by momonaco

As I'm a raw recruit here, 2 questions. I can't read the signature of the Officer here, so that I can record his name. Also - I've tagged a number of pages with place "Les 3 Tilleuls" or "Les Trois Tilleuls" - I can't find it on the map. I would appreciate some guidance on these 2 items - before I continue tagging more of these pages. Best Wishes to everyone - Mo

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Firstly, welcome aboard! Thanks for getting involved.

If you ditch the 'les' in 'Les Trois Tilleuls' you'll probably find it easier. Unfortunately, the OC's signature is pretty illegible, and I'm not having any joy working out who he might have been. I'll keep trying and let you know if I find anything.

In the meantime, perhaps some of our other eagle-eyed volunteers might be able to decipher it!

Posted

• momonaco by momonaco

Thanks for the info about 'Les Trois Tilleuls'. I'll leave this page open for a while longer in case anyone can give me a clue to the signature.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to ral104's comment.

I didn't keep my notes from this diary but looks like Major Malcolm Middleton or Middle.. something.

Posted

• momonaco by momonaco in response to 141Dial34's comment.

Thanks 141, I think his initials are JBS - but signature is illegible - so I have moved on. It's a pity that I can't go back to the page if I ever find out what his name is.

Posted

I'm still drawing a blank on the name, I'm afraid. But don't worry, hopefully you'll come across a more legible signature later on.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Comment message by momonaco " Eureka! Finally tracked down the author of this diary - Major J Blount-Dinwiddie". Regarding your comment message and the illegible signature of this man - glad you found it - an unusual name!

Posted

Excellent! And here is his life story page on Lives of the First World War: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5177284

Posted

• momonaco by momonaco

Yes, now I've found him, I've added some info to Lives of the First World War. I'm also interested in his younger brother James Travers Blount-Dinwiddie of the Border Regiment who was a Gallipoli casualty at Anafarta Ridge on 21 August 1915.

Posted

Thanks for adding to Lives! We don't have any diaries from the Gallipoli campaign in OWD at the moment, unfortunately (although we have plenty to be getting on with just concentrating on the Western Front!), so his brother is unlikely to crop up here. But if you're interested in trying to find out more about him, I'd definitely suggest checking whether the Border Regiment's Gallipoli diaries have been digitised by the National Archives.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

The Gallipoli diaries were digitised by Ancestry, and are currently only available through them.

Posted

Thanks, David. I think Ancestry allow you to pay for a month's access and then cancel, rather than having to subscribe for a longer period, but don't quote me on that.

Posted