War Diaries Talk

Question about Tagging Duplicate Pages

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I came across this situation for the first time--I think--just now. This page is hashtagged as a duplicate, but I did not see it the first time it appeared. There was a jump from page 312 to 325, so I'm assuming that five people already tagged that group and that the original appearance of this page was in that block.

My question is should I tag anything in this type of situation? This is a report, so tagging opportunities are limited, but I have seen cases where diary pages appear twice. In this particular case, I have previously tagged the names of the officer casualties when they appeared in the diary for these dates, so I would not tag those again. There is a Sgt. Bulloch mentioned who did not appear in the diary, so I did tag him, thinking it better to have him tagged too many times than never.

My question is really more general referring to the situation rather than this specific page.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Good question, and hopefully not a situation which should arise too frequently! I think you've taken the right approach in tagging the names, or at least those you haven't encountered before. In that case, over-tagging is preferable to missing them out. But otherwise I think it's okay to leave the rest of the info untagged - as you say, it's a reasonable assumption that five other taggers will already have captured it.

Posted