War Diaries Talk

How to tag other units referred to by older names

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I've come across this situation a few times recently. Specifically, the most recent is in the diary of the 2nd Highland Light Infantry in the 2nd Division. The situation is that the 99th Brigade, also in the 2nd Division, is on their left, and the unit immediately to their left is referred to only as "the 60th." I did a bit of research and found this is most likely the 1st King's Royal Rifle Corps, a unit that was in the 99th Brigade at the particular time of the entry, July 1916. It was actually quick research; when I googled 60th regiment the K.R.R.C. popped right up.

How do I tag "the 60th"? In this case the two units worked together and it would be good to acknowledge this, I think.

ETA: I decided to tag it as just "60th (1st K.R.R.C.)" as I wanted to keep going. On the next page the author referred to being relieved by the 52nd, which I believe is the 2nd Ox & Bucks Light Infantry. I tagged it the same way as the 60th, but it would still be useful to know if my approach is the best way.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I think it's more likely that these are brigades, given that they've already mentioned the 99th brigade. The 60th brigade did include a battalion of the KRRC (the 12th). Although the KRRC was at one time known as the 60th Regiment of Foot, the name changed in 1830, so you'd have expected it to be well established by the time of the First World War.

Posted

The 52nd has been mentioned again as the 52nd L. I. And the 2nd Highland Light Infantry and the 52nd L. I. are relieving each other in turns.

Posted

Hmmm...curious. Are they ever referred to as anything else? You're right that the 52nd Regiment of Foot did become the 2nd battalion of the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry, but I hadn't realised they'd still use the old regimental designations at that stage. Although possibly as a regular army battalion, tradition had been maintained since the name change in 1881.

In any case, it seems as though your original approach was a good one to take!

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

The indexes to officers' service records still use the old number rather spelling out the regimental name. The numbers for regimental districts (recruiting areas) were also based on the numbers

Posted

I'll keep tagging them as I indicated above, then. The 2nd Ox & Bucks Light Infantry were in the 5th Brigade with the 2nd Highland Light Infantry (the unit I'm tagging) so it makes sense that the two units would be in a pattern of relieving each other in the line every few days.

Posted

Excellent - first time I've come across this, I must admit.

Posted