War Diaries Talk

Watford Detail

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Does anyone know what a Watford Detail was?

The very last entry on this page says " 1 O.R. proceeded to England as a WATFORD DETAIL." (Author's use of uppercase.) This was for 31 Dec., 1918, and the battery had just moved to Germany by train from Solesmes.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I believe there were barracks at Watford, which elements of the 2nd Division were based at, so it could be a term for somebody being sent back for training or, at this stage, even demobilisation.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thanks, Rob.

I've noticed in several diaries that coal miners seem to have had priority in being demobbed. I assume that's because coal was desperately needed for the 1918-1919 winter. At first, I wondered if a Watford Detail had something to do with that, but there is no reference here to the man being demobbed, and there were prior comments in the diary of a few men going to a camp for demobilization.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Oh yes, mining was a crucial occupation - in fact, many miners were exempt from service to begin with, although a good lot of them joined the RE tunnelling companies.

I think the best bet here is that the Watford Detail was the element of the unit back at base who looked after training, stores etc.

Posted