War Diaries Talk

Tagging People

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

What is the best way to tag the individuals on a page like this when all of them, and the reasons for them being listed here, have already been mentioned within the diary text for the relevant dates? For example, I tagged 2nd Lt. Franklin Smith on 26 Feb. when he was mentioned as joining the regiment. Do I tag him again as joining?

The only person on this page not previously mentioned was Sgt. Hibbard (last entry under Appointments), who received a commission.

This list carried over onto the following page with names of NCOs and ORs who were wounded while in the trenches with the dismounted company.

I'm amazed that after about 18 months of working on this project, I still come up with questions! Shows just how complex a process it is to capture all this information.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

This is a tricky one as any "monthly summary" always is! Previously when we've had monthly casualty summaries we've told people not to tag them again so we don't get data twice. Obviously if you now tag these people at the end of the month then I assume all these events are going to look like they were happening on the last day of the month? I think once you've tagged any information that hasn't appeared before I'd be tempted to tag all the names but not the reasons (use "other"). That might sound odd but it then serves to show there is another mention of the person in the diary but it does not make it look as though the event happened twice. Does that make sense?

And yes I agree it's amazing how we can still get good questions like this about data capture so far into the project. It does indeed show how complex OWD really is!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you, Heather. I actually did tag them as "Other" thinking that when in doubt, it at least captured the name. I just couldn't see how someone could join twice! It's good to know that my thoughts are shared.

I hadn't even considered the issue with the date, though. Also good to know.

Posted