War Diaries Talk

Fort Rouge- where are you?

• Dr_Kong by Dr_Kong

Provided as the location in the diaries being looked at - 2 CAVALRY DIVISION: 2 CAVALRY DIVISION AMMUNITION PARK (56 COMPANY A.S.C.) (1 AUG 1914 - 30 SEP 1917). The unit had been in the Vieux-Bequin area before moving to Fort Rouge. A Google search produces "Fort Rouge" as being at the gates of Calais harbour up until late 19th Century. Modern map search identifies a place near Calais as "Fort Rouge, Ardres, France" but really is Rue de Fort Rouge which crosses the A26 (Autoroute des Anglais). Nearby is a railway which could have been used as a railhead by the unit. Anyone able to locate Fort Rouge

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I believe it is Fort Rouge-Arques. I googled this and and it brought up a map - then I typed in Fort Rouge-Arques in the search bar on the map. Link is: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zdb60x-hR0HU.kWiY4l3t6vIU&hl=en_US

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

That's a great map, Marie - have you plotted each location mentioned?

Posted

It is really a very good map for reference. I have put the link into a word document folder marked WW1, with other interesting things so I can refer to it again. Have plotted some of it but not all.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Brilliant - this is a great showcase for the sorts of uses Operation War Diary data can be put to. Being able to visualise events within a wider geographical context gives a whole new perspective, I always find.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Marie, I also found Fort Rouge at or near Arques sometime ago in reference to its mention in a different diary, (I've never done an ammunition park diary.) so I'm pretty sure you're right about that.

Also, what a wonderful map! Do you have any idea which specific unit the soldier was with? Or what all the symbols mean? I love the little trains!

Posted

Regarding your message concerning the map showing Fort Rouge near Arques. If you go back into the map it will show at the top left hand corner the soldier's information: i.e. 52002 - Driver Adey, RE (Royal Engineers) - "Map displaying the likely movement of Driver Frederick Thomas Adey during WW1. 1914-1919 and gives his movements". Glad you liked it.

Posted